Smoking Cigar Increase Testosterone
Testosterone, a hormone, is essential to the male’s health in many ways like the amount of muscle mass, bone density testosterone, sexual drive, and mood. It is natural that men are always looking for ways to boost their testosterone levels naturally or through supplements. What about cigars? Can smoking cigar increase testosterone or even have an effect on the level of testosterone? In this article, we’ll look at the connection on how smoking cigars increase testosterone levels with the help of the most recent research.
Testosterone and its Importance:
Steroidal hormone(testosterone) is produced within the testicles of males. It’s responsible for the growth of masculine sexual features, like eyebrow hairs, a deep voice and a heightened muscular mass. It also regulates different aspects of the body, including:
- Mental health and mood
- Sexual performance and Sex Drive
- The production of Sperm and Fertility
- Bone Density and Strength
- Metabolic and fat distribution
- The production of red blood cells as well as oxygen transport
Factors that can affect testosterone levels:
Testosterone levels are usually high during the adulthood. They later decrease gradually as we age. But there are certain factors that can result in testosterone levels dropping to levels below normal such as:
- Chronic stress
- Poor diet and nutrition
- Inactivity and lack of
- Certain drugs and conditions
- Alcohol and smoking
How does smoking cigar increase Testosterone Levels?
A few studies have indicated smoking cigar increase testosterone levels of men. However, it does not increase the level of free testosterone. Free testosterone can be described as the bioactive type of testosterone, which is able to bind receptors on targeted tissues. Total testosterone contains the free testosterone as well as bound testosterone bonded to proteins like the sex hormone-binding protein (SHBG) and albumin.
The potential causes due to which smoking cigar increase testosterone are:
- Nicotine can trigger the release of the luteinizing hormone (LH) out of the pituitary gland. This then stimulates the testicles to make higher levels of testosterone.
- Cigars could contain a substance called coumarin. This compound boost testosterone synthesis as proven in the studies on animals.
- Smoking can cause inflammation and oxidative stress within the body. This can raise SHBG levels. SHBG connects with testosterone and decreases its supply.
The effects of smoking cigar on testosterone levels isn’t much evident and can vary based on a number of factors. These factors include the amount and frequency of smoking cigars, the quality and style of cigars, duration and intensity of inhalation and also the genetic make up of an individual’s body.
Is it worth it to start smoking cigar to increase testosterone?
While thinking about the fact that smoking cigar can increase testosterone, it will be tempting for a lot of men to start doing it. But this effect is short termed and if we talk about long-term then it can also have negative impacts on testosterone levels.
Smoking cigars can affect testosterone levels as time passes such as, Smoking cigar can reduce the levels of zinc within your body. Zinc is a mineral essential to the body that plays a role in several enzyme reactions, such as the ones that control testosterone production.
Smoking cigar can also raise estrogen levels in males. Estrogen is a female sexual hormone that counteracts testosterone’s negative effects. Estrogen is also able to increase the levels of SHBG as well as decrease testosterone levels that are free. It can also harm the DNA in the sperm cells. Sperm cells are a source of genes that influence hormone levels in the offspring.
Thus, the long-term effects over time from smoking cigars on testosterone levels are not well researched.
Is smoking cigar dangerous?
The habit of smoking cigars is a favored choice for people who love the taste of the aroma and relaxing of cigars. But, smoking a cigar exposes one’s body to many hazardous substances, including:
- Nicotine is a stimulant that boosts the heart rate, blood pressure as well as levels of adrenaline. Nicotine could also affect circulation to the penis and alter erectile performance.
- Carbon monoxide is a gas that lowers the level of oxygen present in blood. Carbon monoxide could affect the functioning of the testicles as well as lower the production of testosterone.
- Tar is a sticky material which accumulates within the airways and lungs. Tar may cause inflammation, infections, as well as harm to the respiratory system.
- Others chemicals. Cigars have more than 4,000 chemicals, a few of which have been found as carcinogenic (cancer-causing) or mutation-causing (DNA-damaging).
Can quitting smoking cigar increase testosterone levels?
Stopping smoking cigar increase testosterone levels in your body because of different reasons. These are:
- The increase in the flow of blood and oxygen to the penis and testicles.
- Improving the health and function of the testicles as well as sperm cells.
- The balance of enzymes and hormones within the body.
- Reducing inflammation and stress throughout the body.
- Intensifying your physical activity and working out.
Tips to stop smoking cigar:
If you’re concerned about your testosterone levels on a longer run and are looking to stop smoking cigarettes and cigars due to it, here are some suggestions which can help you:
- Make a deadline for yourself and stay with the date. Select a day that is comfortable and important to you. This could be the anniversary of a birthday or anniversary or a holiday.
- Create a list of reasons you’d like to give up smoking cigars. Remember the advantages that smoking cigarettes can bring, like an improved appearance, health and financial stability.
- Seek support from your family and friends or healthcare professionals as it will be helpful in quitting smoking.
- Utilize nicotine replacement or medicines if required. They may help with dealing with the withdrawal effects of nicotine, like irritability, cravings as well as anxiety. Consult with your physician before taking starting any medications or products.
- Stay clear of triggers and tempting situations which could lead you to desire to smoke a cigar. This could include specific places such as people, places or feelings. Explore alternative methods to cope with boredom, stress, or the pressure of social interaction.
- Be grateful for your accomplishments and successes. Recognize your achievements and indulge yourself in things you love, including a good movie, food, a drink or even a pastime.
Some FAQs related to smoking cigar increase testosterone?
1. Do smoking cigars increase testosterone?
Smoking cigar can increase testosterone levels in men but this effect is temporary. But in the long run it reduces the zinc levels, which may decrease testosterone production.
2. How does smoking cigars increase testosterone?
Cigars contain tobacco, which contains nicotine. Nicotine can result in the high levels of adrenaline and cortisol in the body, which helps to increase the testosterone levels. Cigars also contain a compound called coumarin which helps in increasing testosterone levels.
3. Can smoking cigars lead to erectile dysfunction?
Yes, smoking cigars can contribute to erectile dysfunction (ED). The toxins in cigar smoke can impair blood flow to the penis by damaging the blood vessels , which is a significant factor in causing ED.
4. Are there any natural ways to boost testosterone without resorting to smoking cigars?
Yes, there are several natural and healthier ways to support testosterone levels in men, including exercise, improving sleep and managing stress.
5. Will quitting smoking increase testosterone?
Yes, quitting smoking can increase testosterone by improving the health of testicles,
The habit of smoking cigars is one which can have some effect on the testosterone levels of males. As, smoking cigar increase testosterone level in men but this effect is temporary and on the long run, it usually decrease testosterone level. Thus, the effects of smoking cigars on testosterone do not always match up and could depend on the individual circumstances.
Smoking cigars or cigarettes can affect your health generally. It increases the risk of developing a cancer, Erectile dysfunction and heart disease. Thus, saying no to smoking cigars can do you more harm than good for your health and improve the overall quality of your life. If you are in need of assistance to stop smoking cigarettes get professional guidance as well as support from your physician or through a program to quit smoking.
Hi, I’m Affan lateef , a pharmacist by profession. I have a degree in pharmacy and over 5 years of experience helping people achieve their health goals. I write about various topics like health, artificial intelligence in health, mental health, diet and weight loss. Follow me here on these platforms given below.