Ear Seeds for Weight Loss: How They Work and What to Expect
Ear seeds are a form of auriculotherapy that uses tiny seeds to stimulate pressure points in the ear. They are based on the same concepts as acupuncture and the idea that the ear represents the whole body. They are claimed to help with weight loss by controlling appetite, cravings, metabolism and nutrient absorption. Some scientific studies have shown significant differences in weight loss with ear seeds which I will discuss further in the article.
What are ear seeds and how do they work?
Ear seeds are small vaccaria plant seeds that are placed over specific acupuncture points on the ear with a piece of adhesive tape. By exerting mild pressure these seeds stimulates the point where they are placed. The points are usually along meridian lines, which are invisible pathways that carry energy or qi in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). According to TCM, your health depends on the flow of qi in your body and resolving any blockages that may cause imbalances or diseases.
Ear seeds are based on the same general principles as acupuncture, but without the use of needles. They are a type of acupuncture therapy which is focused on the ear. The ear is considered a microsystem of the body, meaning that it reflects and influences the whole body. By stimulating certain points on the ear, you can affect various organs and systems in your body which can affect overall health.
What are the potential benefits of ear seeds for weight loss?
Ear seeds are said to help with weight loss by influencing several factors that affect your weight, such as:
- Appetite suppression: Ear seeds can help reduce your hunger and cravings by stimulating the points that regulate your stomach and spleen functions. These points can affect your mood and appetite by impacting on your serotonin levels.
- Metabolism boost: Ear seeds can help increase your metabolism by stimulating points that regulate your thyroid and adrenal glands. These points can also affect your cortisol levels, which are linked to your stress and fat storage.
- Blood circulation improvement: Ear seeds can help improve your blood circulation by stimulating points that regulate your heart and liver functions. These points can also affect your insulin levels, which are linked to your blood sugar and fat burning.
How to use ear seeds for weight loss?
The best practice to use ear seeds is to see a trained acupuncturist but it is also possible to place it yourself. Its better to get help from a trained acupuncturist because they will help you to find the specific points on your ear by analysing the symptom you will tell them. They can also show you how to properly place the seeds.
Most of the ear seed placement acupuncturists have their own seeds, but if you want to buy then you can also purchase online.
Follow these instructions if you want to try them yourself:
- Before using ear seeds, clean the outside of your ear and dry it. Always use ear seeds on the outside of your ear and never inside the ear canal.
- Identify the specific point first. Some of the ear seed kits contains charts with them showing the location of specific points for placing seeds. You can also take help from acupuncturist to help you locate the best points according to your needs.
- To point the ear seed on your ear, try to use tweezers. Also avoid touching the adhesive side of the that usually comes with ear seeds.
- Press gently on the tape so that it can stick properly.
- Massage your ear seeds gently. Repeat this at least two to three times each day. For one to three minutes, massage the seeds firmly in a circular motion with pressure.
- Change the seeds regularly. Usually, the ear seeds may fall off on their own after about three to five days and its recommended not to leave them on for more than five days.
- You can use tweezers or your nails for removing them. Tilt your head so your ear faces the ground before taking the seeds off so that they don’t fall into your ears.
What is the evidence for ear seeds for weight loss?
There have been some scientific studies that have examined the effects of ear seeds for weight loss, but they have limitations and inconsistencies.
A 2011 study concluded that proved that Auricular acupressure is a good option for the weight loss in young adults.
A 2010 study concluded that using the Vaccaria seeds can decrease Body Mass Index (BMI).
According to a study in 2009 this acupuncture technique may have potential benefit on obesity.
Another 1998 study concluded that when the Auricular acupuncture sites are often stimulated, it can result in weight loss.
What are side effects of ear seeds for weight loss and their safety precautions?
Ear seeds are usually safe but they can have some side effects as well. Some of them are:
- Allergic reactions: Some people can have allergy from these seeds or the adhesive tape used for them. If you experience any harmful symptoms like swelling, itching, or rash then remove the seeds immediately and consult your doctor.
- Infection: If the the ear is not clean or sterile seeds are not used, there is a risk of infection. If any signs of infection, such as pus, fever, or pain is visible, then remove the seeds and seek medical attention.
- Irritation: The seeds may cause some discomfort or irritation to the ear or the skin. If the seeds are too tight or too loose, they may also fall off or move around. You can adjust the position or pressure of the seeds as needed.
- Interference: The seeds may interfere with other treatments or medications you are taking as these seeds can affect the blood pressure aswell. Therefore, inform your doctor before using ear seeds if you have any medical conditions or are taking any drugs, so that he can devise a safe plan for you.
- Overstimulation: The seeds may overstimulate the ear points which can result in adverse effects such as headache, nausea, dizziness, or insomnia. You should avoid using ear seeds if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have a pacemaker.
1. What are ear seeds for weight loss?
Ear seeds are small, adhesive seeds or pellets that are placed on specific acupuncture points on the ear. They are believed to stimulate these points and promote weight loss.
2. How do ear seeds for weight loss work?
Ear seeds are thought to stimulate certain acupuncture points on the ear, which can help regulate appetite, reduce food cravings, boost metabolism, and promote overall balance in the body, potentially aiding in weight loss.
3. How long do you keep ear seeds on for weight loss?
Ear seeds are kept on for not more than 5 days. They should be kept on according to the instructions of the acupuncturist.
4. Are there any side effects of using ear seeds for weight loss?
Ear seeds are generally considered safe when applied correctly by a trained professional. However, they can also cause irritation, infection or allergic reactions to some individuals.
5. Are there any contraindications or precautions for using ear seeds for weight loss?
Ear seeds should be avoided or used with caution in individuals with certain medical conditions or taking certain medications. Pregnant or breastfeeding women should also avoid using it.
Ear seeds are a form of auriculotherapy that uses tiny seeds to stimulate pressure points in the ear. They are claimed to help with weight loss by controlling appetite, cravings, metabolism and nutrient absorption. Some scientific studies have shown significant differences in weight loss with ear seeds, but the evidence is not conclusive and the results may vary. Ear seeds are generally safe and non-invasive, but they may have some risks and side effects. It’s best to consult a trained acupuncturist before using ear seeds for weight loss.
Hi, I’m Affan lateef , a pharmacist by profession. I have a degree in pharmacy and over 5 years of experience helping people achieve their health goals. I write about various topics like health, artificial intelligence in health, mental health, diet and weight loss. Follow me here on these platforms given below.